By Caitlin Burns, DocsCorp Content Manager.
Have you got questions about cleanDocs? Maybe you aren’t sure what else it does besides metadata cleaning, or want to know if cleanDocs plays nicely with your existing systems? To help bring you the information you need, we asked our team of solution experts to answer the most commonly-asked questions about cleanDocs.
1. Which types of metadata does cleanDocs remove from Microsoft Office files?
2. Is cleanDocs just a metadata cleaner?
3. Can I clean all the documents in a folder?
4. How does the email recipient checking feature work in Outlook?
5. Will cleanDocs pop up when I email someone internally?
6. Will cleanDocs ask for recipient confirmation every time I reply to the same thread?
7. Can I create individual cleaning and email recipient checking policies for different departments within my organization?
8. What is User Action Logging, and why would I use it?
9. Will cleanDocs work with Office 365?
10. Does cleanDocs just work in Outlook?
11. How would I go about cleaning a document in a document management system you don’t integrate with?
12. Do you have a server solution?
A: cleanDocs removes more than 100 types of metadata from Microsoft Office and PDF files, including:
- Hidden text
- Incorrectly redacted text, like white text on a white background or text highlighted black
- Author tracking data
- Custom fields
- Embedded objects, like a section of an Excel spreadsheet
- Comments and Track Changes
- Document properties
A: No, it is much more. While cleanDocs’ main feature is the fast cleaning of documents both at the desktop and on mobile devices without requiring a native application (Word, Excel) to be launched, cleanDocs also provides the ability to:
- Prompt users to confirm email recipients before sending and/or cleaning emails
- Analyze document metadata and action warnings and alerts raised
- Sanitize Track Changes and Comments – keeping contents but removing author information
- Rename files before sending them in emails
- Process entire zip files of documents in one go
- Clean encrypted files, and add encryption (an open password) to documents
- Select one of three PDF output formats: plain PDF, PDF/A or Secured PDF
A: Yes. Just right-click on the folder and select ‘Clean with cleanDocs.’ Due to its parallel processing design, cleanDocs can process thousands of files in less than a minute.
A: In a single screen, after you hit Send, you can confirm all email recipients are those you want your email to go to before choosing a cleaning action for your attachments.
Confirmation of email recipients ensures that the right information goes to the correct people every time and avoids accidental disclosure of information.
A: It’s up to you. cleanDocs can be configured to ask for confirmation of internal recipients or turned off, so those emails are sent automatically. cleanDocs can also be configured to prompt for approval of certain domains– like Gmail or Yahoo! addresses – or specific email actions, like Reply All.
A: No. cleanDocs remembers conversations, so users won’t be asked to confirm again on repeated replies since they have already made the necessary checks. Users will only need to approve new additions to the email thread.
Q7: Can I create individual cleaning and email recipient checking policies for different departments within my organization?
A: Yes. Administrators can set up policies for different departments or teams based on a specific set of requirements and/or risks. For example, one group may need every email attachment cleaned and converted to PDF, while others may want the option to apply password protection. Some departments will want email recipient checking on internal emails, while others won’t. This can all be pre-defined within different policies.
A: User Action Logging gives administrators a way to see if people in the business are always skipping cleaning attachments. The unique CSV log lists the actions that users take in Outlook and makes it easy to pinpoint anomalies in metadata cleaning business-wide.
A: cleanDocs desktop cleans emails if Microsoft Outlook is installed on your computer, or when running under Windows Terminal Services or Citrix. When Outlook from Office 365 is locally installed you will enjoy the full cleanDocs functionality.
To clean emails sent from Outlook Web Access, mobile devices, browsers, etc. you will require cleanDocs server, which fully supports both local Exchange and Exchange Online hosted systems.
A: No. cleanDocs integrates with document and practice management systems, including HighQ, iManage, eDocs, and NetDocuments. Users can right-click to clean metadata from documents within these systems, or on their local machines in the Windows file network.
Q11: How would I go about cleaning a document in a document management system you don’t integrate with?
A: It’s easy. Just open the document and press ‘Clean’ in the DocsCorp Microsoft Office Ribbon.
A: Yes. cleanDocs server can be a standalone solution or work in tandem with cleanDocs desktop, so users don’t miss out on email recipient checking and advanced output options.
Ready to try cleanDocs for metadata cleaning and email recipient checking? Simply fill out the form to start your 14-day free trial.