By Caitlin Burns, DocsCorp Content Manager.
Every Word document contains metadata that can be used to reveal more information than you intended. You want to make sure that any sensitive information is wiped from the file before it is shared. Exposing personal information through metadata leaks is more than embarrassing – it is considered a data breach under many regulations, including the GDPR.
cleanDocs metadata cleaning technology removes more than 100 metadata types in seconds, and it’s incredibly easy to use. Below we explain how to use cleanDocs to manage metadata in your Word documents.
Clean metadata on the desktop
1. Right-click the file or files you want to clean and select ‘Clean with cleanDocs.’
2. Set the policy according to your needs: ‘Collaborate’ for internal use and for trusted communications with collaborators, or ‘Publish’ when sending documents to customers or for publication (this will convert the Word document to a PDF.)
3. Click Process to clean the document. You can choose to save the cleaned version as a replacement or as a separate version or copy.
Clean metadata from Outlook
- Add your Word documents as attachments
- Click Send, and cleanDocs will display
- Make your cleaning selections
- Click Process and Send
The attachments will be cleaned, and the email will be sent. The email in your Sent Items will contain the same metadata-free documents that were sent to the recipients.
Clean metadata in Microsoft Word
- Open the Microsoft Word document you would like to clean.
- Click the DocsCorp tab in the toolbar
- Click ‘Clean’ in the cleanDocs section
3. cleanDocs will open, with the Word document pre-loaded.
Choose your cleaning policy and save options as above.
A step-by-step guide.
Watch how easy it is to clean potentially harmful metadata from a Word document using cleanDocs
Ready to try these workflows for yourself? Press below to fill in the form and start your free trial of cleanDocs today.